Mason Greenwood issues statement after leaving Getafe as Man Utd future unclear

Manchester United Mason Greenwood spent the 2023/24 campaign on loan at Getafe (Image: GETTY)

Manchester United striker Mason Greenwood has issued a statement to thank Getafe fans following a successful loan spell in Spain. The 22-year-old played his final game for the Spanish club on Sunday and will now return to England, although his future at the Red Devils is unclear.

United shipped Greenwood off to Getafe last September after concluding an internal investigation into the player’s behaviour.

Greenwood had been arrested in January 2022 and later charged on suspicion of attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault occasioning actual bodily harm and was suspended by the Red Devils.

The charges were then dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service in February 2023, but the player hasn’t featured for United since their Premier League victory over West Ham on 22 January 2022.

Greenwood enjoyed a revival during his temporary spell with Getafe as he bagged 10 goals and six assists in 35 appearances.

And after playing the full 90 minutes in his side’s 2-1 defeat to Mallorca on Sunday afternoon, the forward wrote on Instagram: “Incredibly grateful to the Getafe family and fans for an amazing season.

Read more… Arsenal target sets deadline to decide future as £94m star ‘close’ to agreement

Mason Greenwood hasn’t played for Manchester United since January 2022 (Image: GETTY)

“Thank you for making me feel welcomed and one of your own. I enjoyed every second, alongside my team-mates and club. A bitter sweet ending, but it was a pleasure to play for you, I wish you all the best.”

United could entertain a four-way battle for Greenwood’s signature this summer, with Borussia Dortmund, Atletico Madrid, Juventus and Napoli all said to be in the frame to sign him.

And earlier this month, Getafe club president Angel Torres told Radio Marca that the 13-time Premier League champions are now looking to cash in on the one-cap England international.

Don’t miss…
Inside Man Utd’s FA Cup party as Hojlund gets boozy and Ten Hag mocks Fernandes [INSIGHT]
Chelsea’s next manager faces Premier League headache because of Man Utd [DETAILS]
Marcus Rashford issues emotional statement on tears after Man Utd won FA Cup [STATEMENT]

“If it was up to the lad, his parents and the club (Getafe), I think he would continue for another year,” explained Torres.

“But regarding Manchester [United], the news that we have from last week where the [Getafe] sporting director went to England to see some games and was with them, is that if a good offer comes along, they would want to sell because he is not going to go back there [to Manchester].

“We’ll have to wait until the end of June. The family and the player are very comfortable and very happy here, with our fans. When he came here, he hadn’t played for 16 months. He has recovered his form, he has scored eight league goals and two in the Copa [del Rey].

“The people and the coach are very happy with him. I think he will remain with us for another season, or at least until January. He is a good footballer.”

Source: https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1903867/Man-Utd-Mason-Greenwood-Getafe