Man Utd takeover latest: Glazers departure doubted as Manchester mayor issues Qatari verdict
Manchester United fans continue to wait for progress on the takeover front as the new season closes in.
The Glazers put the club up for sale during last season, but they still have not landed on a final buyer despite having two clear options. Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim are continuing to wait for an update on their latest bids, with a quiet couple of weeks passing by during pre-season.
A new owner is not likely to be in place for the new campaign, but we could yet learn who the chosen buyer will be in the coming weeks. With that in mind, we have rounded up all the latest on the takeover front.
New season blow
Sky Sports journalist Karveh Solhekol has issued an update on the United takeover.
“It’s gone very quiet but there are expected to be developments on the sale of Manchester United after the team return from their pre-season tour of the United States next week,” said Solhekol on Friday.
“United announced in November of last year that the Glazer family, who own the club, were open to bringing in new investors or even selling the club. Everybody knows the two main bidders, Sheikh Jassim and Sir Jim Ratcliffe. It has gone very quiet but there may be developments and some clarification next week. I think that would suit Erik ten Hag because he wants a resolution to this whole takeover saga. He’s been working hard trying to strengthen his squad in the transfer market this summer.”
He added: “I wouldn’t say the takeover is going to happen this window. The Glazer family have never said they are going to sell, they just said they were looking at investment opportunities which may lead to a sale. A lot of people involved, even people involved in the process, think this could end up with the Glazers being involved in at least some capacity. It is by no means certain that United will have new owners next season.”
David Beckham’s view
United legend David Beckham recently had his say on the possible United takeover in an interview with The Athletic.
“I think so,” he said. “I think it’s purely because the fans want it. Once you lose the fans, especially at a club like Manchester United, it’s hard to get them back.
“Obviously, they (the Glazers) have achieved a lot, and financially, the fact we’re even talking about the numbers of what Manchester United will sell for shows the success they’ve had. But there needs to be change. We’ve all seen that, we all know that.”
Manchester Mayor speaks
Manchester mayor Andy Burnham has admitted he is ‘not comfortable’ with a possible Qatari takeover at Old Trafford.
“These are questions that everyone’s having to embrace in this Premier League era,” Burnham told Global’s The News Agents podcast.
“I don’t think anyone feels completely comfortable about it and I’m going to be really clear about that. But the Premier League has kind of moved into a place where, is all the money clean in any Premier League club? There’s associations with regimes around the world. That’s how it is now, isn’t it
“Obviously, we don’t have an outcome yet with regards to the ownership of Manchester United. I think there’s a lot of people in this city would tell you there’s a lot wrong with the current ownership regime there, in terms of the money that’s been taken out of Manchester United over the last decade or so.”