Chelsea to submit Sadio Mane proposal – Sources
Chelsea are planning to submit a proposal to Bayern Munich forward Sadio Mane, sources have told Football Insider.
The Bundesliga leaders are willing to sell the 31-year-old Liverpool legend despite his return to Thomas Tuchel’s starting eleven.
It is believed that Chelsea want to make Mane their first summer signing following a disappointing 2022-23 campaign.
Manager-elect Mauricio Pochettino, who is believed to have verbally accepted an offer from the Blues, is also keen to bring the Senegal international to Stamford Bridge.
Mane himself wants a return to the Premier League after a mixed first season at Bayern Munich.
The 31-year-old, who joined for a reported fee of £35million after add-ons last summer (2022), has scored 12 goals in 36 appearances for the Bavarian side this term.
Chelsea are prioritising a centre-forward signing this summer after struggling for goals in the 2022-23 campaign.
However, top targets such as Napoli talisman Victor Osimhen have proven to be out of reach – with Football Insider revealing last month (21 April) that Paris Saint-Germain are lining up a titanic £133million bid for the forward.
Mane is seen by Chelsea as a more realistic signing and is capable of playing both at centre-forward and on both flanks.
He bagged 111 strikes in 263 Premier League games during spells at Liverpool and Southampton before leaving for Germany.
The forward’s Bayern contract runs until June 2025.
Pochettino is set to join Chelsea for the 2023-24 campaign despite their lack of European qualification.
Sources told Football Insider (28 April) that the Chelsea dressing room sees the ex-Spurs boss as an exciting appointment following a dismal 2022-23 campaign.
The Blues notched their first win since 11 March against Bournemouth on Saturday (6 May).
In other news, Chelsea explore move for £70million Man United target.